Life can be hard. And life certainly isn’t always fair. The Bible tells us that here on earth, we’re in a war—good vs. evil. Looking around today, it sometimes appears evil is winning. It can be discouraging. However, if we’ve trusted the Lord Jesus as our Savior, we’ve been given some significant unfair advantages in this battle—in life.
I know these advantages, but I sometimes fail to make the most of them—I don’t take advantage of what God has given me. And I bet you do the same.
I’ve found that if I just apply three simple aspects of our unfair advantage, I can stay encouraged and take ground in this fight.
1. Focus on the finish! The fact that Jesus has already won this battle, and we know we’re on the winning side, seems unfair in itself. But even Jesus kept His eyes on the finish—the end goal—He never lost sight of where He was headed. Hebrews 12:2 reads, “for the joy that was set before Him, He endured the cross.” It also exhorts us to keep our eyes on Him.
2. Remember who we are. Focus on the truth about ourselves: we’re adopted by God, totally forgiven, accepted and deeply loved by Him, just to scratch the surface of who we are in Jesus. The other side of this coin is to reject the debilitating lies from the enemy.
3. Hold on to God’s promises from the Bible—claim them, cash in on them. Pray them. Stand on them. The One Who never fails, Who is perfect has given us His guarantee.
So, remember to:
– Focus on the finish–keep your eyes on Jesus
– Remember who you are, and leave no room for lies, and
– Hold on to God’s promises
And make those most of the unfair advantages God has given you!
“Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we’re in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed — that exhilarating finish in and with God — he could put up with anything along the way: cross, shame, whatever. And now he’s there, in the place of honor, right alongside God.” ~ Hebrews 12:2 The Message – The Bible in Contemporary Language